Thursday, January 03, 2008

Christmas 2007

Most of us have seen the pictures in any major magazine.

The perfect Christmas setting. The perfectly lit tree that has the prefect balance, color coordinating ornaments and trim. The halls are decked with ribbons and evergreens. The outdoor lights are dancing.

The wall is cramped with cards from family and friends. The candles are twinkling and all the same height. No run over wax or blackened glass globes.

The kitchen table is set with a center piece that matches the tree. The place settings are so perfect the Queen of England would feel right at home.

The whole family is wearing matching outfits and sitting in front of the fireplace, where a warm glowing fire is burning. The family pets are sitting calmly an at peace with each other. The family picture is perfect as well. Everyone is smiling with no squinting.....

You get the perfect picture. But as any of us that have kids and or pets it come with a price. Stress.

I was talking with my "other mother" and she made me think about the "perfect" Christmas.

This Christmas I was happy with my Christmas.

Grant it that my neurotic dog can't stand to have me more then five feet from her or she freaks out.

Grant it that my youngest son is teething and has a cold as well as myself and James and Lilli. So instead of pine needles and apple cider the house smelled like menthol vapor rub. boxes with holiday scenes decorated our tables. And we all looked like Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. And visions from cold medicine danced in my head.

Grant it that Dad and Mom suffer from lack of sleep because Dakota missed his bed. Chewing on my and anyone else's shirt and anyone else he could get his hands on and stick in his mouth.

Grant it none of us got the chance (or remembered) to take the annual family picture.

My Christmas was perfect. Santa Claus came to find homemade sweet rolls and milk. The tree was bursting with gifts. The kids opened so many gifts they forgot what came from who.

Nani was given the very large ham bone and found a place to hide from the noise.

The smell of menthol and the magic of teething gel keep Dakota happy long enough to get a picture in his Christmas outfit ( before his diaper exploded and needed a sink bath).

My kids were happy, loved on, kissed on, well feed, over stimulated to the point of hyper. Yet I would not have it any other way.

Give me my picture perfect Christmas any day. I hate to know just how miserable those kids were all prim and proper. How long it took to get the tree just right.

So in years to come I can put the picture of David sitting by the filled stockings and eating a homemade sweet roll.

Happy New Year to all.

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments: